Skip to content
- 1 cup toover daal – Pigeon pea lentils
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sambar masala
- 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 2-3 whole dry red peppers
- 1 cup mixed vegetables like carrots, potatoes, ash gourd, peas, eggplant, drumstick cut int 1″ pieces
- 1 big onion, cut into quarters
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
How to Make Sambar
- Cook daal with salt, till absolutely tender. Mash with the back of a spoon.
- Add sambar masala, vegetables, including the onions, and cook till the vegetables are tender, and add tamarind.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the whole red peppers and the curry leaves. Turn around 2-3 times, then add the daal mixture.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 5 minutes, Serve hot garnished with the cilantro.