Aloo Gobi -
Cauliflower & Potato savory
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and cut
into small pieces
coriander leaves (cilantro),
separated into stalks and leaves roughly chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder (as per taste)
cauliflower, leaves removed and cut
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into even
Ginger, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons Garam masala*
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion and one teaspoon of cumin
seeds to the oil.
- Stir together and cook until onions become
golden, and translucent.
- Add chopped coriander stalks, two teaspoons of
turmeric,1tsp chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Add chopped chillies (according to taste). Stir
tomatoes into mixture.
- Add ginger and garlic; mix thoroughly.
- Add potatoes and cauliflower to the sauce plus a 4
tablespoons of water.
- Toss the cauliflower and potatoes in the saucepan so
that they are evenly coated
with the curry sauce.
- Cover and allow to simmer for twenty minutes (or
until potatoes are cooked).
- Add 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala and stir.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves on top of the
Turn off the heat, cover, and leave for as long as
possible before serving.
*Basic Garam Masala recipe
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cardamom seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon, broken up
1 teaspoon whole cloves
Toast all ingredients on an iron
skillet. Use a coffee mill or blender to powder all ingredients.
Blend and store in an airtight container.